Monday, November 07, 2005

Doom

Olduvai Research Station is a remote scientific facility on Mars where something has gone terribly wrong. All experiments have ceased, and communication has failed. The few messages that do get through are less than comforting.

I really love the Doom games. I remember playing the original Doom and how impressed and addicted I was to that game. Doom 3 was a gaming masterpiece that has no peer. There was no way I would miss seeing this movie. Fans of the games will recognize many parts of this movie. The dark, almost claustrophobic feel of the game is very well done here. Zombies from the game are done very well and the first-person section is awesome. However, there are parts of the movie that are alot different from the games. The zombies and 'demons' in this movie are not from Hell but rather genetic mutations. Neither the Hell Knights nor the Imps throw fireballs which would have been a very cool addition to this movie.

R-rated for good reason. Lots of violence and cursing in this movie. As much violence as the game.

I began to feel that this movie was Resident Evil on Mars. I enjoyed the fact that they included plenty of UAC references and that they did include some of the characters from the game, but I feel that they dropped the ball on this one. I understand why they changed some things to appeal more to the mainstream but I doubt this movie would appeal to the mainstream. Rather they should have geared it to the fans of the game and made it everything we were hoping for.

3.0 out of 5

1 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

What do you want to see?

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home